Friday, August 8, 2008

August Storms

A cold front brings the blessing of an afternoon thunderstorm. From my vantage point I can follow the progress of the approaching weather. First the distant rumbling of thunder announces the leading edge of the storm. Soon dark masses of clouds appear to the southwest looming over the tree line. Across the valley the clouds roll along trailing rain like a curtain below, the valley disappears before my eyes. The wind picks up and I hear the cry of the red tailed hawk, I follow its progress with my ears as it travels through the surrounding woods. The dogs pace, whine and jockey for the “safe” spot on the porch. I see lightning and find myself counting until the thunder cracks and then echoes down the valley like a drum roll. I smell the rain and hear it roaring towards me through the trees. With a sudden gush the shower bursts into the open, racing across the clearing.
I am forced to retreat--the dogs are happy to be inside, away from the chaos. The rain falls in huge, heavy drops, banging on the metal roof. Another gust blows the doors shut and then… quiet. The sky lightens, the mountain ridge to the West reappears, soon the valley is exposed, clouds lingering low over the river. A steady rain begins falling straight down soaking the garden. Water streams down the drive pushing ahead of it the garden debris I forgot to take to the compost pile. The rain stops. Clouds rise up from invisible hollows on the mountain side but indistinct rumbling reaches me from the northeast and dark mists obscure the view. The storm rolls on.

No comments: